Monday, June 22, 2009

FUBAR

Mainbox here in the Rogman's cave is totally wiggity-wack. Mainbox is, well, my mainbox (that's what she said). It's the one I use for being media server, burning cds/dvds, interfacing with my external hd, etc. I have been dual booting on that machine for a couple of years now. XP + a Linux, usually Ubuntu.

Well, things here were all sunshine and lollipops until the fateful day I got a SATA hard drive. Part one of the problem is my XP installation CD is from the year 2000, I believe. Way back then they didn't have SATA technology so XP install disk sees the drive as like a quarter its actual size (imagine its embarrassment!) and I guess kind of knows what it is, but maybe not.

At any rate, after getting XP installed/running, if I try to partition for Ubuntu/shared data partitions all hell breaks loose. I can't log into Windows (BSOD) and the windows partition gets hosed. This is all slightly over my head. I think I might need to install the SATA drivers as a 3rd-party add on either via the floppy disk I don't have or rolling them into a custom XP installation disk.

Bottom line: Incredible pain in my MBR.

No comments:

Post a Comment